Cari Johnson, abbreviated CV
(links to publication PDFs below)
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN. B.A. in Geology, 1996, magna cum laude, Thesis Distinction.
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA. Ph.D. in Geological and Environmental Sciences, 2002. Thesis: “Sedimentary record of late Mesozoic extension, southeast Mongolia: implications for the petroleum potential and tectonic evolution of the China-Mongolia border region.”
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Stanford University (funded by U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, CA). Sequence stratigraphy and petroleum potential of the San Joaquin basin, California (2002-2003).
- Associate Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Utah (2009-Present).
- Assistant Professor, Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Utah (2003-2009).
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Stanford University and United States Geological Survey, Resource Assessment (1/2002-1/2003).
PETROLEUM INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
- Intern, Chevron Stratigraphic Services and Texaco New Ventures Group, 1999.
- Sedimentary Geology
- Sedimentation and Tectonics
- Basin Analysis
- Petroleum Geology
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL PUBLICATIONS (student authors in italics) - PDF links provided
Johnson, C.L., Semple, I.L., and Creem, S., 2013, The effects of scaling cues and interactivity on a viewer's ability to estimate the size of features shown on outcrop imagery, Journal of Geological Education, v. 61, n. 1, p. 68-80. PDF
Moore, J.A., Taylor, A., Johnson, C.L., Ritts, D., and Archer, R., 2012, Facies analysis, reservoir characterization, and LIDAR modeling of an Eocene lacustrine delta, Green River Formation, Southwest Uinta basin, Utah, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Memoir 95, Ch. 7, p. 183-208. PDF
Archer, R., Robanna, E., Ritts, B., Moore, J., Johnson, C.L., and Taylor, A., 2012, Reservoir simulation models of an Eocene lacustrine delta, Green River Formation, SW Uinta basin, Utah, in Y. Bartov and D. Nummedal, eds., Sandstones in lacustrine depositional settings, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Memoir 95, Ch. 8, p. 209-222. PDF
Heumann, M.J., Johnson, C.L., Webb, L.E., Taylor, J.P., Jalbaa, U., Chuluun, M., 2012, Paleogeographic reconstruction of a late Paleozoic arc collision zone, southern Mongolia, Geological Society of America Bulletin, published online June 8, 2012: DOI 10.1130/B30510.1. PDF
Allen, J.A., Johnson, C.L., Heumann, M.J., Gooley, J., and Gallin, W., 2012, New Technology and Methodology for Assessing Sandstone Composition: A Preliminary Case Study using a Quantitative Electron Microscope Scanner (QEMScan), Geological Society of America Special Publication 487, p. 177-194. PDF
Graham, S.A., Cope, T., Johnson, C.L., and Ritts, B.D., 2012, Sedimentary Basins of the Late Mesozoic Extensional Domain of China and Mongolia, in Roberts, D.G., and Bally, A.W., eds., Regional Geology and Tectonics: Phanerozoic Rift Systems and Sedimentary Basins, Chapter 17, p. 443-462, Elsevier (Amsterdam). PDF
Johnson, C.L., and Ritts, B.D., 2012, Plate Interior Polyphase Basins, (book chapter) in Busby, C., and Azor, A., Recent Advances in Tectonics of Sedimentary Basins, Blackwell Science, Ch 28, p. 567-582. PDF (preprint)
Allen, J.L., and Johnson, C., 2011, Architecture and formation of transgressive-regressive cycles in marginal marine strata of the John Henry Member, Straight Cliffs Formation, Upper Cretaceous of southern Utah, USA, Sedimentology, v. 58, p. 1486-1513. PDF
Webb, L.E., Johnson, C.L., and Minjin, Ch., 2010, Late Triassic sinistral shear in the East Gobi Fault Zone, Mongolia, Tectonophysics, v. 496, n. 3-4, p. 246-255. PDF
Allen, J.L,. and Johnson, C., 2010, Facies control on sandstone composition (and influence of statistical methods on interpretations) in the John Henry Member, Straight Cliffs Formation, Southern Utah, USA: Sedimentary Geology, v. 230, p. 60-76. PDF
Allen, J. L., and Johnson, C., 2010, Sedimentary facies, paleoenvironments, and relative sea level changes in the John Henry Member, Cretaceous Straight Cliffs Formation, Southern Utah, in Carney, S., Tabet, D., and Johnson, C. (eds.), Geology of South-Central Utah: UGA Guidebook 39, p. 225-247. PDF
Gallin, W., Johnson, C., and Allen, J., 2010, Fluvial and marginal marine architecture of the John Henry Member, Straight Cliffs Formation, Kelly Grade of the Kaiparowits Plateau, south-central Utah, in Carney, S., Tabet, D., and Johnson, C. (eds.), Geology of South-Central Utah: UGA Guidebook 39, p. 248-275. PDF
Johnson, C.L., Hudson, S.H., Rowe, H.D., Efendiyeva, M.A., 2010, Geochemical constraints on the Paleocene-Miocene evolution of eastern Azerbaijan, with implications for the South Caspian basin and eastern Paratethys, Basin Research, v. 22, p. 733-750. PDF
Hudson, S., Johnson, C.L., Efendiyeva, M.A., Rowe, H.D., Feyzullayev, A.A., and Aliyev, C.S., 2008, Stratigraphy and geochemical characterization of the Oligocene-Miocene Maikop series: Implications for the paleogeography of Eastern Azerbaijan, in Sorkhabi, R., ed., Out of Tethys: New Geologic Studies on the Making of Asia, Tectonophysics, v. 451, p. 40-55, doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2007.11.045. PDF
Johnson, C.L., Amory, J.A., Graham, S.A., Lamb, M.A., G. Badarch, and Affolter, M., 2008, Accretionary tectonics and sedimentation during late Paleozoic arc collision, China-Mongolia border region, in A. Draut, P. Clift, and D. Scholl, eds., Formation and applications of the sedimentary record in arc collision zones, Geological Society of America Special Paper 436, p. 363-390. PDF
Johnson, C.L., and Graham, S.A., 2006, Middle Tertiary Stratigraphic Sequences of the San Joaquin Basin, California, U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1713, Ch. 6, http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/pp1713/. PDF
Webb, L.E., and Johnson, C.L., 2006, Tertiary strike-slip faulting in southeastern Mongolia and implications for Asian tectonics, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 241, p. 323-335. PDF
Johnson, C.L., Bloch, R.B., and Graham, S.A., 2005, Tertiary Sequences of the Central San Joaquin Basin, California: Age Control and Eustatic Versus Tectonic Forcing Factors, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Pacific Section, MP#49, 1 oversized sheet.
Milner, M.A., Johnson, C.L., and Bereskin, S.R., 2005, A subsurface and outcrop interpretation of the Paleocene-Eocene boundary, northwest San Juan basin, New Mexico, Rocky Mountain Geologist, January Issue, p. 11-22. PDF
Johnson, C.L., and Graham S.A., 2004, Cycles in perilacustrine facies in Late Mesozoic rift basins, southeastern Mongolia, Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 74, n. 6, p. 770-785. PDF
Johnson, C.L., and Graham, S.A., 2004, Sedimentology and reservoir architecture of a synrift lacustrine delta, southeastern Mongolia, Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 74, n. 6, p. 786-804. PDF
Johnson, C.L., 2004, Mesozoic-Cenozoic evolution of the East Gobi basin: Integration of outcrop and subsurface data, Basin Research, v. 16, n. 1, p. 79-100. PDF
Johnson, C.L., Greene, T.J., Zinniker, D.A., Moldowan, J.M., Hendrix, M.S., and Carroll, A.R., 2003, Geochemical characteristics and correlation of oil and nonmarine source rocks from Mongolia, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 87, n. 5, p. 817-846. PDF
Johnson, C.L., Webb, L., Graham, S., Hendrix, M., and G. Badarch, 2001, Sedimentary and structural records of late Mesozoic high-strain extension and strain partitioning, East Gobi basin, southern Mongolia, Geological Society of America Memoir 194, p. 413-433. PDF
Graham, S.A., Hendrix, M.S., Johnson, C.L., D. Badamgarav, G. Badarch, Amory, J., Porter, M., R. Barsbold, Webb, L.E., and Hacker, B., 2001, Sedimentary record and tectonic implications of Mesozoic rifting in southeast Mongolia, Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 113, p. 1560-1579. PDF
Varga, R.J., Gee, J.S., Bettison-Varga, L.A., Anderson, R.S., and Johnson, C.L., 1999, Early establishment of seafloor hydrothermal systems during structural extension; paleomagnetic evidence from the Troodos Ophiolite, Cyprus, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 171, n. 2, p. 221-235.
Webb, L., Graham, S., Johnson, C.L., Hendrix, M., and Badarch, G., 1998, Occurrence, age, and implications of the Yagan-Onch Hayrhan metamorphic core complex, southern Mongolia, Geology, v. 27, p. 143-146. PDF
RECENT GRANTS AND AWARDS
- Controls on marginal marine and nonmarine stratigraphic architecture: New constraints from the Cretaceous Straight Cliffs Formation, Utah. ACS-Petroleum Research Fund (2008-2010).
- Creating and assessing effective uses of interactive digital outcrop models in undergraduate geoscience education. NSF-Division of Undergraduate Education, CCLI program (2008-2010).
- College of Mines and Earth Sciences Teaching Award (2007).
- Regional Correlation of the Maikop Series in Azerbaijan: Sequence Stratigraphy and Petroleum Potential, M. Efendiyeva (Geological Institute of Azerbaijan), co-PI. CRDF (Civilian's Research and Defense Fund; 2007-2009).
- Facies architecture and reservoir potential in a marine-nonmarine transition zone, John Henry Member of the Cretaceous Straight Cliffs Formation, Utah, Straight Cliffs Consortium Chevron ETC (2007-present).
- Sequence stratigraphy of the Straight Cliffs Formation, Utah: What controls stratigraphic architecture in a tectonically active marine basin? U. of Utah Seed Grant (2006).
- Collaborative Research: Strike-slip history of the East Gobi Fault Zone, Mongolia: Modes of intraplate deformation, sedimentary basin evolution, and regional fault linkages, L. Webb (U. Syracuse), co-PI. NSF-Tectonics division (2007-2010).
- Research funds donation in support of Maikop series geochemical investigations. BP (2006-2009).
ADVISING AND RESEARCH (click here for more information)
TEACHING (see active course web pages at left)
Introductory Level Courses
Architecture of the Earth (3 credit hours; Spring 2004, Spring 2005, Fall 2005)
Earthquakes and Volcanoes (3 credit hours; Fall 2006)
Exploring Earth (3 credit hours; Spring 2008, planned for Fall 2008)
Upper Division Courses
Basin Analysis (3 credit hours; Spring 2003, Fall 2004, Spring 2007)
PICP 2 – Petroleum Basins (1 credit hour; Fall 2004, 2005, 2006, planned for Fall 2008)
Seismic and Sequence Stratigraphy (3 credit hours; Fall 2003, Spring 2006)
Career Seminar (1 credit hour, co-taught with J. Bartley, Fall 2006)
Comparative Foreland Stratigraphy (1 credit hour, Fall 2006)
Sedimentary Basins Seminar (1 credit hour, planned for Fall 2008)
- Department Graduate Advisor (2010-present).
- Associate Chair, Geology and Geophysics Department (2009-present).
- Editorial Board, Geology (2007-2010).
- Presidential Commission on the Status of Women, University of Utah (2007-present).
- Faculty Moms Group: founder of this support, mentoring, and advocacy group for faculty moms at the University of Utah (2007-present).
- Petroleum Industry Career Path, Faculty Committee (2003-present).
- Career Day Seminar Coordinator (2003-2008).
- AAPG Student Chapter, Faculty Advisor (2003-present).
- Annual Austin Weeks awards 2004-present.
- Outstanding U.S. AAPG Student Chapter award, 2008.
- Graduate Affairs Committee (2003-2009).
- Session Co-chair, Sedimentary Basins in Transition: Stratigraphic and Structural Records of Plate Tectonic Reconfiguration, Geological Society of America Annual Meeting (October, 2005).
- Session Co-chair, Styles of intraplate deformation and associated sedimentary basins, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Annual Meeting (May, 2003).
- Proposal Reviewer: NSF, DOE, NOAA, CRDF, SEPM, and ACS-PRF.
- Manuscript reviewer: Geology, Basin Research, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Geological Magazine, GSA Bulletin, Journal of Sedimentary Research, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, International Journal of Earth Science, etc. (approximately 20 manuscripts and grants reviewed per year).
Geological Society of America
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Association of Women Geoscientists
Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM)
National Association of Geoscience Teachers
American Geophysical Union
Phi Beta Kappa (elected 1996)
Sigma Xi (elected 1996)
State of Utah Professional Geologist
Utah Geological Association